Name: Jessica Morrison
Class Year: 1999
Title: Digital Branding Expert
Organization Name: Seaside Digital Design & Marketing LLC
1. In one sentence, what does your job entail?
I help female service-based business owners create consistent digital brands (website, social media, and other digital media) that increase sales, grow brand awareness and generate more traffic to their site/store.
2. What planned and unplanned events connected you to your industry and your first employer after Holy Cross? How did you learn/decide it was a good fit for you?
When I graduated from Holy Cross I thought I wanted to go to law school, so I spent a year working as a corporate paralegal in a large NYC firm. I quickly decided that wasn’t for me and moved out to San Diego where I worked in biopharma for a few years. After working in business development there, I took a job as a pharmaceutical sales representative at Pfizer. When I had my first son, I left that job to be at home and it was the genesis of my current career. Even though I was at home, I missed the connection to coworkers and the intellectual stimulation. I decided to start a blog and social media and make a job out of it! Later on I was able to utilize my newly acquired skill set to build my own digital branding agency.
3. What were you involved in when you were on campus?
I was a member of the Purple Key Society, participated in SPUD activities, was an alumni interviewer and tutor in the Writer’s Workshop.
4. What was your major and how did it affect your career decisions?
I started off as a pre-med major, but after a year and a half, I transitioned to a Spanish major with a concentration in Latin American Studies.
5. What are one or two skills that you developed at Holy Cross that you use in your work?
Critical thinking and excellent verbal and written communication skills.
6. What advice do you have for students on campus today?
Soak up every minute of your college experience because it goes by fast! Also, don’t be afraid of trying new things and taking a while to figure out what you really want to do in your life. It’s a journey, so have fun along the way!