Class Year: 2014
Title: Director of Acquisitions
Organization Name:Taurus Investment Holdings
1. In one sentence, what does your job entail?
Sourcing & underwriting acquisition opportunities across the commercial real estate sector.
2. What planned and unplanned events connected you to your industry and your first employer after Holy Cross? How did you learn/decide it was a good fit for you?
I started working at Wells Fargo in their Real Estate Banking Group. I wanted an analyst role with high deal volume to start understanding the industry and the different sectors within it. I was always interested in real estate and learned more by speaking with Holy Cross alumni in the industry. Through continuing to network and experience on the job, I was able to decipher which areas were the best fit for my interests.
3. What were you involved in when you were on campus?
Intramurals, SGA and club basketball.
4. What was your major and how did it affect your career decisions?
I was an economics major. I knew I wanted to go into business and it helped prepare me to think critically and understand the larger economy.
5. What are one or two skills that you developed at Holy Cross that you use in your work?
My writing ability and critical thinking. The broad education at Holy Cross has been hugely beneficial early in my career. While I was focused on technical knowledge and understanding the numbers in business, I underestimated the importance of strong writing and critical thinking. Holy Cross gave me a strong foundation to write succinctly, clearly articulate my thoughts and try to understand situations from different perspectives.
6. What advice do you have for students on campus today?
Network and follow up. The Holy Cross alumni are incredibly generous with their time and most are happy to provide advice. If they don’t answer you, don’t be discouraged – they are likely busy. Feel free to follow up and keep in touch with the people you meet. A better network helps you at all stages of your career.