Name: Nick Elward
Class Year: 1995
Title: SVP and Head of Institutional Product and ETFs
Organization Name: Natixis Investment Managers
1. In one sentence, what does your job entail?
I research potential investment products to bring to market, help drive business strategy and lead the exchange traded fund business.
2. How did you learn/decide it was a good fit for you?
I always enjoyed following financial markets and started investing at a very early age. After deciding law school and accountancy weren’t for me, I came to the realization that my love for investing could become a career! After 25 years in the industry, I wouldn’t want to have it any other way!
3. What were you involved in when you were on campus?
Intramural sports of all types. I know it seems boring, but the teamwork and work ethic required in sports was a key formative activity that has helped me succeed in my career.
4. What was your major and how did it affect your career decisions?
Political Science. I enjoyed the study of government and thought law school was for me in my first few years. I later realized my love of investments and business strategy was my calling. My major forced me to become a very good writer and speaker. That helps in business.
5. What are one or two skills that you developed at Holy Cross that you use in your work?
Besides my writing and public speaking skills, the extremely strong work ethic that I developed while at Holy Cross has been a difference maker. A great employee needs intelligence, plus drive.
6. What advice do you have for students on campus today?
Study what you love. Find a job that allows you to do what you love. Be the best at whatever you do. Be happy.