Nothing says “Welcome to Spring Semester at Holy Cross” quite like a cold front and sub-zero temperatures! While Snuggies, Hot Tea and Netflix mark the most popular ways to cope with Antarctica’s encroachment into Worcester, use your extended indoor hibernation to push yourself ahead of the pack in your career search. How? We thought you’d never ask…
First up: The Good News → College Hiring is up 4% overall! WOOOO
….But who exactly is being hired?
According to a study from Michigan State’s Collegiate Employment Research Institute, prime college hiring revolves around these key facts:
- Campus oriented internships and career fairs are the top two recruiting strategies for companies.
- Faculty and alumni referrals are two other top recruiting strategies.
- Internships are now the hiring source of choice.
Adapted from Youtern.com
…Now what should you do?
- Come to Career Planning!! (#Hogan203)
- Career Planning manages our connections to employers & maintains Crusader Connections, so this is the place to go for internship/job hunting
- Drop-in Hours are Monday thru Friday 1-4PM
- Drop-ins are appointments for quick career questions or edits to a resume or cover letter
- Stop by Hogan 203 or call (508) 793-3880 to make a 30-60min appointment with a career counselor
- Whether you want to create a resume/cover letter or simply discuss career options, these meetings provide the time you need to bolster your success
- Make Connections & Network, Network, Network:
- Come to our Networking Program Workshop (2/1, Hogan 407/08, 12-1pm) & learn the ins and outs of forging connections
- Meet alums at the 2013 Student Alumni Career Networking Reception (2/7, Hogan Ballroom, 7:30-9pm) RSVP via Crusader Connections
- Reach out to alumni & learn about their career paths using the Career Advisor’s Network
- Go DIGITAL (…you can stay in your Snuggie for this one)
- As the “Facebook of the business world,” LinkedIn is a social media outlet where you want to establish an online presence
- Make or update your LinkedIn Profile (Education, Activities, Job/Internships, Honors/Awards, etc.)
- Connect with friends, family, past co-workers, neighbors, etc.—Even if you think you can’t relate to Aunt Bethany’s career as a cat sweater knitter, still request her on LinkedIn…Aunt Bethany might be knitting sweaters for the CEO of your dream company’s cat!
- Remember: Many employers search for you on other social media platforms, so adjust privacy settings & be cautious about posting things you wouldn’t want employers to see
Pick something from the above list & get proactive with your career!
…Then you can hop back in your bed & relax… after all Season 1 of Homeland is not going to watch itself.