Name: Alberto Correia
Class Year: 1978
Title: Vice President of Technical Services
Organization Name: Proveris Scientific
1. In one sentence, what does your job entail?
My focus is customer support. The functions that report to me include: marketing; field and in-house services and sales of specific product lines.
2. What planned and unplanned events connected you to your industry and your first employer after Holy Cross?
I was a chemistry major and one of our instruments broke down. I went to the vendor to obtain the part we needed and met an alumni who offered me an internship in the laboratory from there I worked my senior year and two weeks before I graduated I started a full time position.
3. How did you learn/decide it was a good fit for you?
The company was based on chemistry and had a customer focus that was unmatched.
4. What were you involved in when you were on campus?
Junior year I was working 3-4 nights in the laboratory at Waters. Senior year a spent every other week traveling across the USA lecturing for Waters. My professors were great as they allowed friends to tape the lectures and fed-ex them to the hotels I was staying at so I could keep up.
5. What was your major and how did it affect your career decisions?
I was a chemistry major and all of the positions I have held were related to knowledge of chemistry.
6. What are one or two skills that you developed at Holy Cross that you use in your work?
The chemistry knowledge was critical, but as important was the life lessons that a Jesuit education instilled in me: loyalty; ethics; hard work.
7. What advice do you have for students on campus today?
Follow your passion. I am 65 years old and never worked a day in my life. I go to work to have fun and make an impact. No amount of money is worth following a path that you do not enjoy.